Friday 23 December 2011

My Favourite Childhood Book

Cleaning my room the other day I stumbled across my all time favourite book from childhood. It was a lovely surprise and I was grateful for my sentimental ways that force me to keep everything that holds a memory for me!

My favourite childhood book? See it for yourself!


I'm not sure how popular this was when I was younger, considering no one has ever spoken to me about it, ever, I'm assuming it wasn't very. But for me, this will always be the book that I remember when I think of my childhood. This, plus Spot and of course The Very Hungry Catapillar - but those pretty much go without saying!

The book includes various stories about the adventures of a little boy called Tom and his stuffed monkey: Pippo. Doesn't sound all that relevant considering I was a little girl but I loved Tom and Pippo for many reasons. Firstly, this book was one of the reasons I carried a teddy bear - my best friend and confidant - around with me until I was 12. (Don’t get me wrong, Marshmallow was so small she fit right into my palm! She used to fit snugly into one of my pockets, although I did have a traumatic experience in which I lost her once. If you’re wondering, yes I do still have her!) I loved Pippo a ridiculous amount - I made a song up about him that's how far my love went! So of course I attempted to re-create Tom's relationship with Pippo with my own companion.

Marshmallow :)

Tom and Pippo was given to me by one of my older sisters, who used to read stories to me when I was still too young. I’ve had it since.. I’m not sure. I remember using the name Pippo for random inanimate objects that I liked before my little sister was born, so I’ve probably had it since I was less than 5 years old. :)

I haven’t read it in a long time though. You'd think that I'd want to open it up and remember everything all over again, but I don't think I'm ready. It might seem odd, but I think there are some things from the past that should only be opened/looked at when you're completely ready. From what I do remember, there's one story about Pippo getting filthy and being shoved into the washing machine and hung on a washing line. I remember it the most because for years I couldn't wash my bears or dolls because I thought it might upset them. :)

Questions for you:

  • What's you're favourite/most memorable childhood book?
  • Why is it your favourite/what makes it your most memorable childhood book?