Sunday 8 April 2012

In My Mailbox (1) - Sunday 8th April

I previously posted a January Book Haul including pictures of the books I'd bought recent to the time of the post. Since then, my sister has introduced me to "In My Mailbox" a meme started by thestorysiren.com. It's a pretty cool idea in which you post your recent book purchases/books you've received every Sunday.

I've got quite a collection since the January haul post, but here we go!

The Girl with the Glass Feet by Ali Shaw and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (both from Foyles)

I bought these two on a whim because I was trying to hunt down a couple of other books to go with my 3 for 2 offer at Foyles whilst buying 1984 for my sister.

I’ve read Fahrenheit 451 already and really enjoyed it! :) Within the first 12 pages I fell in love with Bradbury’s writing style; it's so poetic. Whenever I found a sentence I liked, I went back, read it again and then proceeded to hunt it down on Goodreads to "like" publicly.

I haven’t started The Girl with the Glass Feet yet since I haven’t had time. The description made it seem like an adaptation of Cinderella which tickled my fancy at the time (considering the majority of the other books on 3 for 2 were Charles Dickens in honour of his birthday!)

Bake! by Nick Malgieri (from Amazon), The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days and Step-by-Step Baking (both were given to me as gifts by my sister).

As you can tell.. I enjoy baking! :)

Pure by Andrew Miller (from Amazon)

I bought this after reading the blurb online. I think I discovered it after it won the 2011 Costa Book of the Year. I’ve read one chapter so far (around 3 pages haha) but had to ditch it for uni books…

The Vagrants by Yiyun Li (from Waterstones)

I bought this from on sale for.. yup 99p!! I was rummaging through the sale section back in February and happened to come across this. The blurb seemed interesting so I decided to pick it up!

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (from Oxfam)

I remember eyeing this at some point in the past but never getting round to buying it. I can’t tell you how happy I was when I saw the spine staring back at me on the bookshelf at Oxfam. I was even happier when I saw the price! £1.99 for a book that looks like it’s barely been touched? YES PLEASE!

Tokyo Year Zero by David Peace (from Oxfam)

I picked this one up on a whim whilst picking up Inkheart. The reviews on the spine looked good, the blurb looked interesting and generally I was just hoping to find another good book that was super cheap. I’m not sure how good it’ll be, but for £1.99 I can cope :)

Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin (from Amazon)

I discovered this through twitter after the author won the Man Asian Book Literary Prize (she’s the first woman winner to win!) and then read the excerpt. As soon as I started the long excerpt (which I can no longer find.. sorry) I knew I needed to buy the book, so by the time I got to the end I was already ordering it off of Amazon…

P.S. Isn’t it interesting that the American version is “Please Look After Mom” whilst the English version is written “Please Look After Mother”? Haha my inner nerd finds cultural discrepancies within the same language interesting. I wonder if the translations inside differ at all or if it was just to make the cover seem less American for us Brits...

P.P.S. If I haven’t said it already, buying books from your local charity shop is an awesome way of discovering books (or even finding old books that are no longer in print) without breaking the bank. Plus by buying from a charity shop of your choice you’re supporting an awesome cause and keeping that shop alive!