Friday 10 February 2012

Writers Block


I've felt so blocked and restricted over the past few of months. Whilst writers block has existed in my creative writing for the past 3 years, it only recently started to seep it's way into my educational writing. (Educational writing.. is that even a term?) Even now whilst I write this blog post, I'm finding it difficult to express myself properly. I have spent numerous hours trying to write coherant sentences for my formal work but somehow my brain temporarily shuts down each time and I'm left frustrated, impatient and thoroughly behind in my work.

Yet despite my consistant frustrations,  there have been some moments of joy. Last week I was able to write a short close reading piece on The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson. Then earlier this week I was randomly inspired to write a couple paragraphs of complete fiction. The piece I wrote was just an idea that built up as I went along. I actually haven't looked back on it since so I'm unsure about what to expect.

It all seemed like progress to me, but I quickly realised that wasn't exactly the case. As soon as I opened up an essay I'd half finished, I started to return to my slump. I need to figure out what to do with myself but it's getting harder to stay motivated.

To end on an uplifting note, here's a cute cat: