Sunday 12 February 2012

The Jane Austen Challenge

I've already stated that my book related new year's resolution (of sorts) for 2012 would be to read at least 50 books this year. Now that it's February, I'm back with an additional book related goal! I say goal, but I prefer the sound of challenge - who doesn't love a challenge?

My Romantics teacher actually inspired this one. I say inspired, but he pretty much challenged our class to read all of Jane Austen's books during our life time. I just uhh shortened the time frame! Haha :)


The challenge: to read all of (or as many of) Jane Austen's published novels by 2013 and watch as many of the movie and TV adaptations as possible!

All of Jane Austen's books by 2013 - sounds doable to me! (Especially since she didn't write many books! xD) Watching the adaptations also seems like it'll be fun too, especially with my siblings at Novel Nerds. So I decided to make this something for other people to also take part in and will be "hosting" it on both blogs! ^^ So if you have a blog and want to take part, put the banner up on your blog and link yourself in the comments of this post for a free link both here and on Novel Nerds!

The list of her completed books includes:
  • Northanger Abbey
  • Emma
  • Persuasion
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Sense and Sensability
  • Mansfield Park
  • I'm also adding Lady Susan, The Watsons and Sandition which are her short stories that I happen to also own
Of course, there's nothing stopping you from hunting down her novellas too. There are a TON of movie/tv adaptations so I'm not going to list them all here, however I will update with what I've seen and what I've thought of it :)

My progress so far:
  • Northanger Abbey
  • Emma
  • Persuasion
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Sense and Sensability
  • Mansfield Park
  • I'm also adding Lady Susan, The Watsons and Sandition which are her short stories that I happen to also own.
Key: read | unfinished

I doubt I'll be able to really finish more than one or two of the books before Summer, so let's just say I've got a lot of Austen to come this Summer! Haha :)

List of participants: Please use the above link to sign up too! :)

Side note: I'm aware that bookandyarn started a jan 2011 - dec 2011 version of this challenge. I had no idea until I googled "Jane Austen Challenge" after posting this so I'd still like to acknowledge that her challenge existed first ^^