Wednesday 22 February 2012

Book of the Month: January

My book of the month for January is actually one of the first books I read this year. I'm pretty grateful that I managed to read an awesome book to start off my year too. :) The book I picked is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.


I really enjoyed reading this book and managed to finish it within a couple of days. There were parts that I didn't like but of the trilogy this has to be my favourite book. Whilst I didn't particularly like Katniss or the following two books, the first book starts off really good. We're introduce to the country of Panem which is America of the future, where the districts (towns) outside of the Capitol city are forced intro submission through yearly "reapings". Reapings consist of a girl and boy between 12 and 18 chosen at random to go into The Hunger Games - a death match in which the last man (or woman) standing wins.

Whilst the idea isn't completely new to me (I am a Battle Royale fan after all!), The Hunger Games is able to distinguish itself through the romance aspects of the book. I absolutely love Peeta (one of Katniss' love interests), he's so lovely and caring. Katniss on the other hand is a lot more difficult to like. I was with her at the beginning of the book and I wanted her to survive, but the emotional connection I had with her was lost pretty quickly. Whilst reading the book, I was more interested in the romance than the aspects of battle and war, which I think is why I disliked Katniss: I wanted to see less calculation and more of her giving into her emotions. But I guess you need to be that person if you're trying to survive during battle.

My review on the whole trilogy is coming up soon, so I'll stop here. I've also decided to incorporate a rating system in my reviews based on my goodreads rating of a book!

Rating: