Wednesday 1 February 2012

January Book Haul 2012

And perhaps my first ever major book haul (44 books!!).The majority of these are for uni which is a bit deflating, but hey this blog was supposed to be a record of my growth (literary growth that is) and here's an excellent example of it. I've never bought more than 3 books at a time (for fun) before so this is a major improvement!

Starting with my Uni books and eBooks at that! Pictures are in the form of screenshots from my Kindle - who is named Augustus ^^


Emma and Persuasion by Jane Austen. I’ve read just over 10% of Emma but I haven’t started Persuasion yet.


The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Three Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens, Silas Marner by George Eliot, Wessex Tales by Thomas Hardy, Dracula by Bram Stoker. I’ve read about 20% of The Woman in White but it’s so ridiculously long… I’ve also read “The Haunted House” from Three Ghost Stories.



The Europeans; The Bostonians; Washington Square (not shown) by Henry James, Those Extraordinary Twins; The Tragedy of Pudd’nhead Wilson; The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, The Call of the Wild; White Fang by Jack London, House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, The Awakening & Other Short Stories by Kate Chopin, The Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. Du Bois, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, The Time Machine by H. G. Wells, My Antonia by Willa Cather, The Virginian by Owen Wister and McTeague by Frank Norris. And all of these are for one class T___T Luckily I have no exams in this class..


Oxford Latin Course: Part II by Maurice Balme & James Morwood and Decadent Poetry from Wilde to Naidu by Various Poets.

On to my books for bought for entertainment purposes!



The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. Probably the prettiest book I own haha. It completes my Lord of the Rings set and is the only book I’ve read from it. x__x


The Summoning; The Awakening; The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong. I’m not sure how much I’ll like these so I decided to get eBooks instead.



Darkfever; Bloodfever; Faefever; Dreamfever; Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning. Goodreads recommended the series to me, so I thought they might be good to read (but again didn't want hard copies in case it's crap).


Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins and Blood Witch; Dark Magic and Awakening all from Wicca by Cate Tiernan.

I bought Battle Royale from an Oxfam charity shop selling on Amazon (yeah, I didn't know they did that either until it arrived) for a pretty reasonable price. I'm looking forward to reading the similarities and differences between Battle Royale and The Hunger Games and will be writing a post on my thoughts about it all.  I bought the The Hunger Games box set from Waterstones in store with £10 off - all three books plus the box/cover thing cost me less than £14!! Suffice to say, I was over the moon about that bargain!

As for the Wicca books... At less than 200 pages a piece, I've already finished reading them!
I'm so excited about my purchases!


Crossed by Ally Condie (sequel to Matched) [left], Pure by Andrew Miller [middle] and Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan [right].

I've been meaning to buy Crossed ever since it was released back in November. I'll probably re-read Matched to freshen up on the story line before reading this one. It'll also probably read it after Mocking Jay (the final Hunger Games book) since I'm currently more invested in that storyline!

I actually only discovered Pure after it won the 2011 Costa Book of the Year. I read the synopsis and considering I'm studying The French Revolution I felt it was an appropriate buy. Plus, I wanted a change from young adult fiction.

Lastly, I bought Immortal Beloved simply because it was another series by Cate Tiernan. I love her Wicca series and and I'd love to see her growth as a writer. I don't particularly remember the storyline though...

And that's about it! I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to read these (they're all a lot longer than the Wicca books which can be finished in an hour or two) considering uni has been beyond stressful so far. But even so, I'm looking forward to finding solace in all of these new and unknown (some known) worlds!